Losing a baby to miscarriage is no small feat. When it happened to me, it shook my world. The baby’s expected due date was the anniversary of my mom’s death. I thought that bringing in a baby around my mom’s “death date” would heal my heart. Little did I know that losing this baby to miscarriage would break my heart.
When I found out that I was pregnant I started planning my life with this new addition to our family. In my mind there were things that we were going to do. I was so excited and couldn’t wait to share this with my child.
These plans needed to be revised. The baby did not make it. I was devastated. There were times when I felt like the world was against me. It felt like a part of my heart had shattered.
Through this experience I learned tools that helped me to shift my energy so that I could move through this miscarriage and continue on with my path to motherhood.
Here are seven tips for you to try so that you, too, can move through a miscarriage and shift your energy in positive ways as you continue on your journey.
- Check in with your body. The language of the body is sensation. I invite you to turn your attention completely inward on a daily basis to give yourself the opportunity to notice which parts of you have something to say. Is your stomach in a knot? Are your shoulders tight? Do you feel a sunken feeling in your chest area? All of these observations give you insight into your physical body and where it is hanging on to stuck energy. When you find parts of your body that are holding on to stuck energy, I invite you to breathe into those areas to help get the energy moving.
- Connect with your whole self – the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of you. When these are not connected, you’re more likely to feel fear, disconnection and judgment of yourself and others. This happens because there is fragmentation and a lack of flow of energy in our systems. We all feel fear, disconnection and judgment from time to time. The key is to make sure there is enough room for all aspects of you – the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual – so that these different feelings do not rule you by taking over your energetic space. As you give space to the different aspects of yourself, your energy will shift and flow.
- Acknowledge your thoughts and remember that energy follows thought. If you’re filled with fear about having a miscarriage, I encourage you to do what you can to work through this fear. A helpful affirmation to get this process started is, “I trust that my body knows what to do.” If you don’t trust your body, start saying some loving affirmations towards your body such as, “I choose to send love and appreciation to every part of my body.” These small changes can make a world of difference from an energy medicine perspective.
- Feel and process your emotions. Emotions are energy. When an emotion arises, even if it’s difficult, I invite you to be with it. It has something to tell you – about yourself mostly. When you allow space to process your emotions, you can move the energy. If you find yourself looking for distractions or not wanting to process your emotions, you’re in resistance. This creates energetic blockages. Own your emotions, instead of blaming others. It’s powerful when you do and will help you to move the stagnant energy.
- Have a goodbye ceremony. Oftentimes when there is a loss in our lives we still hang on to the person who is gone from an energetic perspective. This can create stagnant energy. I encourage you to have a goodbye ceremony to honor your time with the baby who miscarried. By having this goodbye ceremony you can help to create a sense of closure with the event which can help to free up energy for a new baby to arrive.
- Find a safe person to talk with about the miscarriage. Maybe it’s a therapist, energy practitioner, friend or relative who is good at listening. Feeling safe as you talk about your experience can help to move stagnant energy.
- Do the work to balance and align your chakras, the main energy centers in your body. This was something that was paramount to me being able to move through the devastation of a miscarriage. Click here to listen to simple healing meditation to help balance your chakras.
As you move through this time in your life after a miscarriage, I invite you to tend to your body, mind and spirit in a loving manner. This will help create a positive energy in which to heal.
Which tool provided the most benefit for you? Leave your answer in the comments section below.
If you liked this blog, please share it.