Working with chakras on a daily basis continues to remind me how these energy centers influence our lives on so many levels. Food is one of these ways.
There are seven main chakras, numbered one to seven starting at the base of the spine and moving up to the top of the head. These energy centers have a connection to the physical body. If a chakra is unbalanced, it can cause sickness.
Nourish Your Root Chakra
The first chakra, also known as the root chakra, is located at the base of the spine and is associated with the color red. Issues related to the root chakra include grounding, survival, and security.
- Do you find yourself forgetting where you put things?
- Do you daydream a lot?
- Do you find yourself constantly worrying about finances?
- Do you feel scared for your personal safety?
- Are you low on energy?
- Do you overeat or undereat?
These are clues pointing to your first chakra needing some attention.
Physical maladies that can occur with an unbalanced root chakra include:
- Back pain
- Skin problems
- Immune related disorders
- Rectal cancer
- Eating disorders
- Varicose veins
One way to help nourish your first chakra is by the foods you eat. Here are some foods that can help nourish your root chakra.
- Healthy red-colored foods (e.g., red cabbage, red chard, cherries, red apples, and lean, low-fat red meat)
- Root vegetables (e.g., parsnips, onions, carrots, rutabagas…)
- Healthy protein-rich foods (e.g., kefir, eggs, tofu, animal protein…)
Do you tend to eat red foods? What about root vegetables? What kind of protein sources does your body gravitate towards? Animal protein? Soy protein? Other types of vegetable protein? A combination? When you are in tune with your body you can read its signals, including what types of foods resonate with your root chakra.
How can you help to nurture your root chakra through your food choices?
Choose one food a day, or even one per meal, that helps to nurture your root chakra. Leave a comment and let me know which foods you’re utilizing to help nurture your root chakra.