Have you ever wondered how the foods we eat nourish our body on an energetic level? I have. This led me on a quest to find out more about which foods help our main energy centers, called chakras.
Each chakra has its own characteristics and is influenced by different foods. In an earlier blog, I covered foods that are helpful in balancing the first chakra. This article included tips for the second and third chakras.
Nourish Your Second Chakra
The second chakra is the seat of our sexuality and emotions. It’s located about two inches below the naval and linked with the reproductive system and bladder. It’s also called the sacral chakra and is connected with the color orange and the element of water.
Some signs pointing to your second chakra needing attention include:
- Chronic low back pain
- Painful periods and other menstrual difficulties
- Difficulty getting pregnant
- Hip pain
- Overactive bladder
- Frequent bladder infections
- Difficulty getting over your last relationship
- Challenges being intimate with others
- Rigid boundaries
- Doing things for others, but not for yourself
- Feeling guilty a lot
To help balance your second chakra using healthy food choices, try incorporating the following into your diet.
Foods to Nourish the Sacral Chakra
- Healthy orange-colored foods (e.g., pumpkin, carrots, oranges, cantaloupe)
- Tropical fruits (e.g., passion fruit, mangos, coconut, bananas, papayas)
- Seeds (e.g., sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, caraway seeds)
- Nuts (e.g., almonds, cashews, walnuts, macadamia nuts)
- Foods with high levels of essential fatty acids (e.g., fish such as salmon, tuna and mackerel; flaxseed meal; leafy green vegetables)
- Drinking water
Nourish Your Third Chakra
The third chakra is the seat of our personal power, strength of will, individualism and self-esteem. This chakra is associated with the organs of digestion and is also known as the solar plexus chakra. It’s connected with the color yellow and the fire element.
Challenges pointing to your third charka requiring attention include:
- Indigestion, diarrhea, gas and bloating
- Stomach ulcers
- Liver issues
- Thoughts of being no good
- Believing you can’t achieve what others can
- Constantly thinking about what and how much you eat
- Needing to be the top dog no matter what
- Getting angry easily
- Consistently having a hard time making a decision
- Feeling like you lack choices for your life
- Trying to do everything hoping to control what happens in your life
Foods to Nourish the Solar Plexus Chakra
By adding in some or all of the following foods you can help bring your third chakra into better balance. Try eating:
- Healthy yellow-colored foods (e.g., bananas, yellow peppers, yellow squash, corn, yellow lentils, Yukon gold potatoes).
- Complex carbohydrates (e.g., spelt, oats, buckwheat, lentils, brown rice, beans)
- Healthy foods with fiber (e.g., nuts, seeds, flaxseed meal, vegetables, lentils)
Processed white sugar tends to be a toxin for the third chakra. If your third chakra needs balancing, it’s a good idea to avoid processed white sugar.
What are some ways you’re nourishing your 2nd and 3rd chakras through the foods you eat? Leave a comment and let me know. Happy eating!